Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Introduction: Literary allusions…. and delusions of grandeur



The title of this blog is a direct reference to John Steinbeck's book 'Travels with Charlie'. This book chronicles Steinbeck's travels throughout a largely unseen - at least publicly - America. Charlie, of course is his dog who apparently was a good enough companion to warrant a place in literary history.
I'm not pretending to have the literary capabilities that Steinbeck has shown in this book. Nor do I pretend to be a dog accompanying you or anyone else through this journey. I just hope to be as good of a companion as was Charlie. And I hope you will join me in my travels.
I am currently writing this from my dorm room in Haerbin, in the Northwest part of China. I have already spent over a week in India, and nearly a week in China so there is some catching up to do.

Friday, October 10, 2008

DanDong to DaLuDao Part II


After our hiking experience overlooking the Korean border we hopped on a boat that took us out to an island between N. Korea and China called DaLuDao. Apparently the name ‘Lu’ which means deer comes from the shape of the island which resembles that of a deer. We arrived at a fairly desolate island only to find a very western Japanese run hotel. Completely out of place. It’s like finding yourself stranded on a deserted island (think ‘Outcast’) only to find a complete hotel resort with a full staff waiting to take your orders. Besides some of the locals living on the island we were the only ones there. And the hotel was completely ours. Meals were provided and a warm personal shower – something that can be hard to find. These comforts however only lasted a short while as the power was turned off to the whole island during the middle of the first night we were there. I realized this while I tried to find the bathroom at 4am (among verbal attacks at the light switch) – I’m not sure if I actually did make it there…. That same night a bonfire was prepared in our honor on the beach. We had simply asked a local business to prepare this for us, and expected a simple bonfire where we could sit around talk, share stories, etc. Instead they prepared a rave-like beach party. I walked along the beach hoping to breathe in some cool sea air and listen to the waves. But as I got closer to the bonfire location all I could hear was the massive pounding of unregulated base. The bonfire party was equipped with a full DJ, karaoke and a massive fire that reminded me of the last seen in Star Wars Return of the Jedi where they cremate Darth Vader and then go party with the little fury teddy-bear like creatures – yes it was that weird. But, after we got over the initial shock of it all, it turned out to be an ok night. We watched some ridiculously large and cheap Chinese fireworks and drank some especially disgusting locally brewed beer. At the end of the night I took a long walk to the water and was surprised to find how far the ocean had receded in just the last few hours. Because the beach is so flat when the tide is out you have to walk 10-15minutes across warm quick-sand-like beach. It’s actually very nice foot therapy.
The next day 5 other students and I rented three bicycles made for two and traveled around the island played in tide pools, captured crabs (only to let them go again) and talked with some fishermen who had spent their whole lives living, fishing and surviving on the island. I met an old couple who had three kids who now all have their own families on the island. The couple’s house was atop a cliff overlooking the sea where two dozen small wooden fishing boats were anchoring. They lived mostly off of what they were growing, raising or catching: Fish, chickens, and a beautiful garden!! The garden reminded me of home. (by the way right now I’m listening to NPR ‘e-town’ and they’re honoring JFK Jr. and talking about his conservation efforts, especially the Hudson and E. Coast fishing ecosystem, his group ‘river keepers’ etc. it’s sounds pretty amazing and is about saving placed like the island DaLuDao that I’m writing about).
On that note I’m going to get going. Need to study and I’ve been spending too much time reading the nytimes and writing emails. I’ll forget my Chinese! Seems like I’ve been forgetting my English too, as there are words that just don’t seem to be there anymore…
p.s. Ate some amazing blue crabs that reminded me of Maryland!! No old bay seasoning though
Also pictures of DanDong can be found at http://picasaweb.google.com/sam.pickerill

1 comment:

Becca Hartman said...

Glad you are enjoying the party there! Who knows the next time you'll get personal fireworks on the beech. Although, if you want regular rides on bicycles built for two, Andersonville is not a bad choice...
peace,
Becca

 
Enter your text here