Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Introduction: Literary allusions…. and delusions of grandeur



The title of this blog is a direct reference to John Steinbeck's book 'Travels with Charlie'. This book chronicles Steinbeck's travels throughout a largely unseen - at least publicly - America. Charlie, of course is his dog who apparently was a good enough companion to warrant a place in literary history.
I'm not pretending to have the literary capabilities that Steinbeck has shown in this book. Nor do I pretend to be a dog accompanying you or anyone else through this journey. I just hope to be as good of a companion as was Charlie. And I hope you will join me in my travels.
I am currently writing this from my dorm room in Haerbin, in the Northwest part of China. I have already spent over a week in India, and nearly a week in China so there is some catching up to do.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Left Out!

Left out – so I feel left out of the events at home. As my friends gear up for one of the greatest events in American history (maybe overstated), many of them with tickets to the Obama party in Chicago after his supposed win, and as the whole world holds it’s breath, I sit here in Haerbin . It seems amazing that the whole world cares about what is going on in America. I received an email from a friend in South Africa the other day urging me to educate myself about the election, and make the right choice, which he then stated was Obama. The combination of economic crisis, nearly 7 years of war and 8 years of ‘us against the world’ policies has created a lot of resentment and fear. The world-wide excitement also has something to do with Obama’s upbringing and the way he grapples with issues that are so close to people. He represents a world which is one body of different parts all required and making an impact. This crisis is showing just how dependant everyone is. There is a saying in China, when America sneezes the rest of the world catches a cold. I think this has shown to be true but the reverse is becoming more and more possible too. Crisis in other countries are only worsening the situation for everyone including America. And now China’s economy has slowed. The one thing that could help the situation the most is if China’s economy really started spending, if they’re population started spending.

It is scary to be seeing these changes, but the world needs it and it’s even more exciting to have someone like Obama leading it. This campaign has been unique for many reasons but I think the biggest reason is because of the mass participation in politics and the passion that has been put in by people seeking an idea bigger than either candidate. The idea that we can transform politics and politics can transform the world. Specifically I think this has represented a social change where people are beginning to realize that they must ‘think beyond our navels’ that our life is related to others lives. That the Midwest manufacturing depression is related to global events. While there are skeptics, I among them, the shear numbers of grassroots support that Obama has built, the number of donations he has received, it’s as if he has built a movement. But this movement will only really start after the election, and the supporters of this movement will be expecting a lot. They’ll be expecting to continually play an important part in politics and I’m not sure how that will play out but it will be good for a country that has not been engaged for the last 8 years (and longer really). This will also require reconciliation between the two parties and the supporters of the two parties. And this is where I’m also happy to have Obama as our candidate. I think he has a real ability to reconcile, to understand the other and find common ground.

We’re watching the election in another student’s room, who has somehow been able to get CNN through our slow internet connection. He actually voted for McCain and his whole family are big McCain supporters. So I asked him how he felt about having Obama as our next president. He said, I don’t mind, there are things I don’t agree with, but I’m mostly just afraid of who he will pick for our Justices. I’m also afraid of a Democratic president with a majority Democratic congress. With no checks and balances I think the country will become more polarized.

These concerns I really understand, and my hope is that Obama’s grassroots type of politics will continue and that he will continue to keep an ear to the ground so that we can reconcile the country and return America to a place where we can all be proud. Where other countries respect our way of life and where we respect theirs.

So I am particularly missing home right now, missing history and apparently missing hanging with Opera at the Obama rally in Chicago (Becca walked in with her!!!). And I wont be able to be apart of the day after election which may be even more important. As it looks more and more likely that Obama will win (they just announced Ohio and Penn) I wonder how the grassroots networks and the huge political capital will be spent by Obama and the democratic party. Will it be used to create a new sort of politics? Where there is more participation? It could be a real historical change and I’m not there to be apart of it. Instead I’m in Haerbin – a media dead zone. Still content but just a little lonely.

2 comments:

Becca Hartman said...

The feeling at the rally Sam, was absolutely electric. People of all races and religions crying when they announced that Barack Husein Obama is the soon to be inaugurated President of the United States of America. I think that most Americans know that the real work starts now - that there are too many systemically unsound pieces of our society, economy, way of living in the world to think that any one person, party, or soundbite contains all of the answers. But it's hard to think about that when I remember that we have just elected Barack Obama as our President - in my adult life I have never before had a president who represented me... but now I do. And so do a lot of other Americans - this is revolutionary, man!

Becca Hartman said...

and I missed you in the excitement too.

 
Enter your text here